Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Raven's Gift: A Scientist, A Shaman, and Their Remarkable Journey Through the Siberian Wilderness by Jon Turk (St. Martin's Press, 2010)

Pt. 1

I'm about half-way through this book and its starting to get really good.  I was interested in this one for two reasons: 1) Mr. Turk is a scientist (chemist) training and 2) it has to do with Shamanism.  In this case, probably the most linguistically precise use of the term of all the books I've read.  Although, in the region of Russia/Siberia where Turk ventured, the shamans aren't called shamans.  At the moment, I can't remember the Koryak term used in the book...but I'll remember to get it down in part two of this blog entry - when I finish the book. 

Definitely check out Jon Turk's website.  http://www.jonturk.net/The-Ravens-Gift

So far it's a great read and I'd recommend it to people interested in Shamanism, Russian colonialism of Siberian (ie. Koryak) indigenous people or the mixing of traditional knowledge and modern life.  Also if you're interested in how science and "magic" are seemingly growing closer together....

Part Two coming asap!